The basic task of GPE suction system is discharge of the pure fuel from top of the contents to minimize possibility of any slug existence in discharged product.
GPE oil suction units are being supplied with swing master joint and pipe work, floaters are available in either aluminum or stainless steel up on requests.
The oil suction unit safeguards the quality of product drawn off from the tank.
Both flanges of the swing joint are cast iron raised faced flanges ANSI B16.5 Class 150. Bolt holes should be straddle bushing center lines on all sizes except 10" and 12" which are on bushing center lines.
Use the following installation procedure to prevent damage to swing joint flanges:
1. Mating pipe flanges must be parallel and aligned properly to prevent undue pipe bending stresses.
2. Class 150 raised face flanges must use a full face gasket and be mated only with a flat face flange. Do not use a ring gasket which fits inside the bolt circle or a raised face flange as they can cause bending loads severe enough to crack the cast iron flange on the swing joint.
3. ANSI B16.1 standard for cast iron pipe flanges recommends bolting no stronger than ASTM A307 Grade B. Tapped holes in yoke require studs with UNC (Unified National Coarse) threads.
Standard ANSI/API flange studs (w/8 TPI) cannot be installed in tapped holes in Swing Joints smaller or larger than 16".
4. The swing joint should be leveled during installation to insure the swing pipe pivots in a vertical plane.
a) Bolt the swing joint to the tank nozzle flange. Do not completely tighten the bolts. Rotate the tee flange looking up.
b) Lugs are cast on the bottom of the yoke to center the pipe supports. Use standard pipe supports and floor flanges to carry the weight of the swing joint to the tank bottom. Do not tighten supports until swing joint is level.
c) Place a level inside the tee long enough to rest on the inside diameter of both bushings.
d) The clearance between the flange holes and bolts will allow a small rotational adjustment of the yoke. When a good level is obtained, cross tighten the bolts.
5. A cross-bolt tightening technique for uniform flange stress and gasket loading should be used on both swing joint flanges.
6. Routine maintenance is not required; however, each time the tank is opened the swing joint should be inspected.